I am so in love with my slow cooker lately. I wish I had two or three I use it so often. When I discovered a Butternut squash in slow cooker recipe I was giddy to cook my favorite winter squash with little effort. I know that sounds so silly, but I really love butternut squash. Once you make butternut squash in slow cooker recipe, you will never have it any other way. It comes out perfect every time. Once the butternut squash is cooked I could sit and eat a whole bowl with a little honey and cinnamon. Yum!
Ingredients for Butternut Squash in Slow Cooker recipe:
How to make Butternut Squash in Slow Cooker:
1. Place about 1 inch of water in the bottom of the slow cooker, or about a cup of water.
2. Cut a small butternut squash in half. scoop out all of the seeds. Save and rinse the seeds. Toast them later for a great snack. You know I don’t throw any thing away!
3. Place the butternut squash in slow cooker and put on the lid. Put the slow cooker on low for 8 hours.
4. The butternut squash will be done no matter what. No second guessing. It has cooked slowly for 8 hours and the butternut squash is perfect consistency.
5. Take a fork or a spoon and scoop out all the golden squash into a bowl or container to store and use for later. Try not to eat it all as you are putting it in the dish. This is really difficult for me.
Once it is cooked the butternut squash can be stored in your fridge for about a week, or you can freeze it in containers or in quart size freezer bags in a bout a cup. Lay them flat to freeze. You may not have ever cooked or made a butternut squash, so what do you do with it besides eat it or make soup? Butternut squash is a wonderful substitute for anything pumpkin. It has a very similar taste and texture of a pumpkin, since these are both winter squash. When you want to make that wonderful pumpkin dish and don’t have any any pumpkin, think about using butternut squash instead. I know I have made butternut squash in the oven and sometimes it is not done after an hour in the oven. Anything that cooks for 8 hours, it has got to be done!