This homemade biscuits recipe is where my journey for making it homemade began. I had been purchasing those refrigerated biscuits from the store. Then I noticed all the extra stuff in those. In order to be more homemade, I purchased a box of Bisquick. Then I wondered if I could still get biscuits cheaper and healthier by making my own. The women of the south and on the prairie didn’t have the luxury of just opening a box to make biscuits. They had to make them by hand and from scratch. So I knew this could be done.
I did a lot of research to find out how to make the best homemade biscuits from my own pre-made biscuit mix. If I pre-make the homemade biscuit mix then, when ever we want biscuits it will be simply measuring what I need. If I am following a recipe that needs homemade biscuits recipe mix, I will have my own ready to go. This will be easy.
Ingredients for easy Homemade Biscuit Mix Recipe:
6 cups flour
3 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 cup shortening – 4 months storage (or use butter 6-8 weeks refrigerated) I only use butter now
2 tablespoons sugar (can be omitted, but tastes better with a little sugar or honey)
1 tablespoon salt
Directions for making easy homemade biscuits recipe:
1. Sift all the dry ingredients together to incorporate well.
2. Use a pastry blender to cut shortening or butter into dry mixture until crumbly.
Directions for Homemade Biscuits Recipe:
1. Preheat oven to 450. Measure 2 cups mix and 2/3 cup milk (or homemade buttermilk for buttermilk biscuits). Stir ingredients together. I usually get my hands in there and mix it for a minute or two.
2. Here is the secret step for really flakey layered homemade biscuits. Take the dough and layout on a floured surface and fold it over on itself and roll it out again. See all those layers in the picture? Keep folding over on itself and rolling out about 10 times for really nice layered biscuits.
3. Use a biscuit cutter or a large mouth glass to cut the biscuits. Lay them out on a baking pan and bake for about 8-10 minutes for large amazing biscuits. You could also just make drop biscuits.
Directions for making Homemade Pancake Mix:
1. Measure 2 cups biscuit mix, 1/4 cup sugar or honey, add 1 cup milk (or buttermilk) and two eggs. For extra fluffy pancakes add 1 teaspoon baking powder. Stir to make a batter, but don’t stir too much. It is ok if it still has a few lumps in it.
2. Pour onto griddle around 350 degrees and brown on both sides. This is the best homemade pancake mix. We made these just the other day with the buttermilk. I think these were the best pancakes we have ever made. You will have to add this homemade pancake mix to your recipe log.
Tip: We like to add fruit puree like smashed bananas or pureed strawberries. Even add some homemade yogurt to your pancakes for more calcium and protein. Try this Apple Pancake Recipe for an easy breakfast idea.