You may already know how much I am in love with my slow cooker. To be honest I rarely used it until about a year ago. Now I am obsessed with finding new recipes and making all kinds of dishes and treats using this amazing kitchen appliance. I use my slow cooker almost everyday. Sunday nights are dedicated to making yogurt for the family.
I made up this slow cooker chicken recipe and it is the most amazing slow cooker chicken I have ever eaten. I just opened up my spice cabinet and sprinkled what I thought would taste good together and I was right. When I can get chicken on sale, I will buy 10 – 20 pounds and freeze it. Check out my rock bottom price list for chicken. Lately I have even been able to find organic chicken on sale too! This recipe requires a lot of spices, but this is so worth it.
Amazing Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe
Ingredients for Amazing Slow Cooker Chicken
1 Cup water
3-4 Pieces of frozen bone in chicken
1 tablespoon chopped onions or 1/2 onion
1/4 teaspoon of the ingredients listed below:
Garlic Powder (can use fresh 1 clove)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Directions for Slow Cooker Chicken
1. Place frozen chicken in slow cooker. It doesn’t matter if it is frozen or not, just throw it in there. I usually place mine in there frozen because I forget to take it out. Turn the slow cooker on low.
2. Pour 1 cup water over the chicken.
3. This is the slightly secret part. Sprinkle the spices over the chicken to cover the surface of the chicken. It’s ok to get some in the water too, but you want to try to get most of the spices on the chicken for the flavors to soak in as it cooks.
4. Allow this chicken to cook for about 9 hours or longer. This is great for working moms, since the chicken can cook for longer in the pot.
5. After about 9 hours take the chicken out and let it rest a few minutes before serving.
6. Don’t throw out that leftover yummy juice. Add 4 cups water and cut a few carrots, 1/2 onion, 1-2 cloves garlic and a celery stick and throw it back in there on high for a couple of hours. Then you have amazing chicken stock for any recipe! Doesn’t that sound delicious?
With this recipe the slow cooker will be used all day and you can get two or three meals from this recipe. Take a look at my chicken salad recipe and my slow cooker chicken stock recipe for more ideas from the left over chicken. Follow my frugal living blog on Pinterest for more inspriation or follow Pounds4Pennies on Twitter.